Opisthoteuthis hardyiRoger Villanueva, Michael Vecchione, and Richard E. Young
Figure. Oral view of O. hardyi, holotype. Drawing from Villanueva et al., 2002.
- Arms subequal, 440-480% of ML.
- Arms I with slight increase in thickness.
- Web nodules or web supports absent.
- web more extensive on dorsal arms; Web formula - A=B>C=D>E.
- Arm sucker count 60-67.
- Males with two fields of enlarged suckers present on all arms; largest sucker diameter of distal field approximately equal to that of proximal field.
- Proximal field with suckers 4-9 typically enlarged; suckers 6 or 7 usually largest; all arms with equal enlargement.
- Distal field with usually 9-14 suckers enlarged beginning with sucker numbers 18-19; suckers 22-24 usually largest; all arms with equal enlargement.
- Cirri short; longest 1.7-4.1 mm or 4-9% of ML.
- First cirri appear between suckers 2 and 4.
Opisthoteuthis hardyi shares (where males are known) enlarged suckers in both proximal and distal fields that are the same on all arms with O. agassizii, O. bruuni, O. chathamensis and O. grimaldii. It differs from O. agassizii and O. grimaldii in lacking web supports, it differs from O. bruuni in having more enlarged suckers in the distal field (9-14 vs 2-3) and it differs from O. chatamensis in having a unilobular digestive gland and more suckers on each arm (60-67 vs 41-45).
Type locality: Near South Georgia Island at 53°18'S, 42°12'W, taken in a pelagic trawl that fished near the ocean floor at 800-1000 m (Villanueva et al., 2003). This species is known only from the type locality.
Villanueva, R., Collins, M., Sanchez, P. and N. Voss. 2002. Systematics, distribution and biology of the cirrate octopods of the genus Opisthoteuthis (Mollusca, Cephalopoda) in the Atlantic Ocean, with description of two new species. Bulletin of Marine Science 71(2):933-985.
Page copyright © 2016 , , and
All Rights Reserved.
- First online 13 May 2003
Citing this page:
Villanueva, Roger, Michael Vecchione, and Richard E. Young. 2003. Opisthoteuthis hardyi http://tolweb.org/Opisthoteuthis_hardyi/20160/2003.05.13 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 13 May 2003 (under construction).