Although the arm III sucker (left) is much larger than the arm IV sucker (right), the dentition is very similar. Both suckers have broad truncated teeth although the arm III sucker has slightly more teeth than the arm IV sucker.
Tentacular club suckers:
Oral (left) and side (right) views of a large distal-manal sucker.
|The photograph on the right show the relative sizes of the suckers pictured above. Left - Arm III sucker. Left-middle - Large distal-manal sucker. Right-middle - arm IV sucker. Right - Proximal-manal sucker.|
These SEM photographs of the North Pacific N. thielei are very similar to those of a North Atlantic N. thielei. SEM photographs of the North Atlantic specimen can be seen here.
- Top left - Sucker number 20 from arm III. Photograph.
- Top right - Sucker number 20 from arm IV. Photograph.
- Upper-middle left - Oral view of large distal-manal sucker from the ventral medial series, third sucker from proximal end of the distal-manus.. Photograph.
- Upper-middle right - Oblique-side view of the same distal-manal sucker. Photograph.
- Lower-middle - Sucker from the distal, expanded region of the proximal-manus. Photograph.
- Bottom - Same four suckers side-by-side. Photograph.
All photographs are scanning electron micrographs taken by R. Young.