Promachoteuthis megapteraRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
Promachoteuthis megaptera is known from only two specimens: the holotype, 15 mm ML captured during the Challenger Expedition in the late 19th century and a female, 52 mm ML, captured 105 years later (1980) from nearly the same locality. It is most easily distinguished from congeners by the lack of a head-mantle fusion in the nuchal region, the long arms and tentacles, and a dark band at the base of the tentacles (see arrow in title photograph).
- without nuchal fusion between head and mantle.
- with 2 series of suckers on arms.
- with pigment band around tentacle at base and without papillae on tentacles.
- Long, thick (length >2 times ML); base appears much wider than arm III (judging from title photograph).
- Club with many series (number uncertain) of small suckers.
- Suckers with smooth inner rings.
- Large arm suckers approximately four times the diameter of large club suckers (see drawings with same magnification on the right).
- Dark pigment band near tentacle base present (see title photograph above and drawing of head below).
- Arms long (60-90% of ML)
- Suckers with smooth inner rings and pegs on outer rings.
- Head and funnel
- Eyes small (1.6 mm in 15 mm ML squid).
- Eyes embedded in head and connected to exterior by narrow canal (drawing below).
- Mantle free from head in nuchal region; nuchal cartilage present (drawing below).
This description, except for comments reflecting uncertainty, is taken from Okutani (1983). Additional details of the description can be found here.
This species is known from two localities, both near Japan: 34°37' N, 140°32' E (type locality; 0-3690 m) and 31°00' N, 147°00' E (2750 m).
Okutani, T. 1983. Rare and interesting squid from Japan. VIII. Rediscovery of Promachoteuthis megaptera Hoyle, 1885 (Oegopsida: Promachoteuthidae). Venus 42: 241-247.
Roper, C. F. E. and R. E. Young (1968). The family Promachoteuthidae (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). I. A re-evaluation of its systematic position based on new material from Antarctic and adjacent waters. Ant. Res. Ser., 11: 203-214.
Page copyright © 2016 and
Page: Tree of Life Promachoteuthis megaptera Authored by . Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Michael Vecchione. 2003. Promachoteuthis megaptera http://tolweb.org/Promachoteuthis_megaptera/19528/2003.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 01 January 2003.